This year marks the mid-point of the implementation of the UN 2030 Agenda for sustainable development, a global plan to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all. In September, the UN will convene the 2023 UN SDG summit, to review progress towards these goals.
Honoris is committed to playing its part in addressing Africa’s sustainability challenges. Since last year, we have aligned our work to the SDGs and are reporting on our impact in our inaugural impact report. We believe that achieving these goals will require a collaborative effort from all stakeholders, including communities, employers, governments, regulators, partners, and students.
Honoris Impact Competition
We have called Honoris students to create, design and present solutions in line with any of the 17 United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
Out of over 100 impressive proposals submitted, eight teams had the opportunity to reach the final round.
The winning team will embark on a once-in-a-lifetime learning trip to Harvard to attend the largest African business conference in the world, in 2024.
The runner-up second and third teams will receive a certificate of excellence as well as high value equipment.
Watch the video to learn more about their projects
To ensure transparency in the selection process, we convened a distinguished jury of thriving startup founders, industry partners, and investment experts, including:
- Sophia El Alj, Moroccan Co-Founder and Chief Operations Officer of Chari.com
- David Akinin, South African Founder and CEO at Jabu.com
- Su-Ann Badenhorst, Africa Energy Digital Innovation & Sustainability Marketing Lead at Deloitte South Africa
- Seynabou Thiam Monnier, Senior Program Manager at Women In Africa and Founder of the Smart Ecosystem of Women
- Marwane Benadada, Principal at Actis, our sponsor, specializing in Emerging Markets Private Equity
Together, they assessed the eight finalist projects based on three criteria: Scalability, Innovation, and Storytelling.
Potential and Scalability
- A clear mission statement
- The SDGs you solved for
- Explain the problem you want to solve
- Share your addressable market and how you will scale your solution
- Demonstrate how your solution will contribute to solve the problem in a scalable way
Product and Innovation
- Show the uniqueness of your approach/product
- Show how you project is sustainable
- Explain your business model
- Clarity of the solution proposed.
- Storytelling of the project vision
- Skills and commitment of the team
Honoris United Universities
Group Senior Director Of Digital Marketing And Innovation
Make your mark and win big
Opportunity to attend the largest Africa Business Conference in the world
We are sponsoring the winning team to travel and attend the Harvard Business School Conference in Boston in 2024.
iPad Pro for challenge up second and third teams
Each team member of the second and third teams will receive a certificate of excellence as iPad Pro as equipment.
Learn more about the participation rules, read more here.